There will be a nice fancy WordPress extension thingy installed on this page at some point I’m sure, that will show an actual calendar that you can subscribe to. We’ll get round to it, we promise!
Any completed events of any significance such as Workshops (where there was a talk or lab exercise) and trips away to places… usually get a blog post created after the event has passed. So please check that section for details as to how it went, this page is more for planning what is coming up.
Although the workshop room itself is possible to be open for any Tuesday (see the Workshop section in Events for how that actually works), there are specially scheduled presentations and practical lab activities. That is what is covered here on this web page. These activities will try to be every fortnight but it’s likely only two thirds of them will actually occur due to festive periods and other clashes. You are always best checking this page and subscribing to the meetings mailing list.
Where you see the [Possible] prefix it means we’re either not entirely sure a workshop will even happen or possibly just not sure on the topic.
If the topic states Suggestions welcome! then this means a topic hasn’t yet been proposed. If you’ve a burning desire to see something as a topic that you don’t know much about, or conversely if you want to share what you know on a topic… then let us know via the meetings@ mailing list.
Tuesday 28th January 2020 – Topic: CCTV cameras and control systems
- This will cover the better networking capable CCTV camera’s on the market which support the kinds of protocols we’ll need.
- Also it’ll cover systems to control / manage and monitor your cameras.
- Presented by Darren who has much experience in this field and does this for a living.
Tuesday 11th February 2020 – Topic: Introduction to CAcert
- An introduction to CAcert from one of their UK volunteers Alex.
- We’ll also cover SSL in general for anyone unfamiliar.
- Time for assurances (for free certificates with CAcert, you’ll need this), to participate in this you’ll need to bring some form of ID as mentioned here (e.g. Passport and Driving License).
- Being joined by people already using CAcert who’ll be able to help issue points during the assurance part.
[Possible] Tuesday 25th February 2020 – Topic: Suggestions welcome!
[Possible] Tuesday 10th March 2020 – Topic: Suggestions welcome!
Tuesday 14th January 2020 – Topic: Introduction to OpenStreetMaps
- Get an idea on what the project is like, how the data gathered is licensed and it’s aims.
- Be more familiar with some of the tools which can be used to gather useful data to improve OpenStreetMaps.
- Using it as a general user and the advantages you get (such the export functions) of using its features over other map products like those from Apple/Google/Microsoft.
Tuesday 17th December 2019 – Topic: End of quarter activities
- A look back to previous workshops this quarter and any updates to add to them.
- Bring in any gadgets and toys so we can have a play (think of it like the last day of School before Christmas when you were a kid!).
- A Christmas atmosphere to be sure 🙂
- Lightning talks of 5 to 10 minutes if anyone has anything they’d like to share with the group.
- This will be the first of this kind of meeting, so please share via the meetings@ mailing list how you’d like these to go!
Tuesday 3rd December 2019 – Topic: Introduction to the LAMP stack
- An introduction to what the basic components that make up a traditional Linux web server, such as Linux, Apache, MySQL (or MariaDB) and PHP… i.e. L.A.M.P.
- A brief talk on things to consider when setting up a server in general and also possible web based control panels for your webserver.
- A lab exercise where we install the basic components from packages, and set up a minimal amount of config for a server that can serve multiple sites.
- If there is time show quickly WordPress running on what we’ve made as an example.
Tuesday 22nd October 2019 – Topic: Virtual Tabletop Gaming (inc. VASSAL)
- Introduction to ways tabletop games can be played on a computer.
- A look at the VASSAL open-source board game engine.
- Q&A with Darren who develops mods for VASSAL.
Tuesday 8th October 2019 – Topic: DNS Sinkholes (inc. Pi-hole)
- Installing and using Pi-hole on both Raspberry Pi hardware and other installs
- Taking a look at what it blocks and monitors
- Advantages and disadvantages of DNS-level blocking
Tuesday 24th September 2019 – Topic: 20 years of StaffsLUG and Relaunch
- Get to know new faces and re-introduce to the concept of a LUG.
- Look back at early StaffsLUG history with Dave Roberts.
- Getting feedback for the future.
Prior to Monday 26th August 2019…
Before StaffsLUG relaunched in 2019 there would sometimes be workshops graciously held at the offices of Navaho. At some point we’ll fill out this section with reminders of what those past Workshops were about (likely by looking through the old mailing lists!).
Tuesday 19th November 2019 – KPA Clubhouse from 6pm onwards
- Nothing to say really… drink (and eat if you like), chat and be merry!
Tuesday XXth xxxxx 2020 – KPA Clubhouse from 6pm onwards
- No date yet decided, but it’ll be a Tuesday as we know people are free on those days… it also needs to not conflict with a presentation or practical lab session that we’ve got scheduled at the workshop.
Often held at a place called ‘The Yard’ which doesn’t exist any more in Stafford. Was usually on the first Monday of the month, something is being resurrected. More details on past events will appear here when we’ve been though the older mailing lists a bit.
Nothing at the moment, see the potentials section below.
Human-Computer Interaction Conference 2020
- The schedule is here https://bcshci2020.com/schedule/
- We’re trying to find out which bits will be open to non-academics.
Got an idea?
If you’d like to add something here as a potential trip to go on, then give us the idea via the trips mailing list!.
- A few StaffsLUG people are going on the Saturday 19th October if you want to join us.
- Two possible CrossCountry trains which you can get from either Stoke or Stafford…
1) Stafford (8:28am) -> Stoke (8:44am) -> 2 other stops -> Manchester Piccadilly (9:24am)
2) Stafford (9:02am) -> Stoke (9:20am) -> 2 other stops -> Manchester Piccadilly (10:00am)
- A bunch of us will wait at Manchester Piccadilly until 10:10am at the main entrance/exit which exits on to the road “Station Approach” – we’ll make sure at one of us is holding a Tux penguin for ID! It is just a short 9 minute walk from there and we can show you the way.
At some point we’ll fill out this section with reminders of where those past trips were (likely by looking through the old mailing lists!).